Wednesday, May 30, 2007

There is no snooze button to silence a hungry kitty

I have the most reliable alarm clock in existence. My cat Spook. A typical morning is as follows:

5:30am: (quietly scratches on the dresser next to my head) *pick pick* *pick pick* *pick pick*
(Continues in intervals of 5 minutes, watching me closely in between sessions).
5:45am: (jumps onto the bed, head butts my boobs and, softly...) "purr purr purr purr"
(Finds a crook somewhere on my body and positions herself there, head butting, making bread, and/or rolling around as the volume increases). "PURR PURR PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"
6:00am: (if she is not convinced that I am fully awake) *SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH* *pick pick* *scratch scrATCH SCRATCH* (On the blanket that covers me... the mattress... the dresser again... wherever she can ground herself that is close to my head).

Usually by this point I am wide awake and only pretending to be asleep, vainly hoping that she will give up and let me catch a few more winks. I am not certain if she knows that I am awake and trying to deceive her, or if she thinks that I am still asleep and so totally NEED to be awake, but she calls in reinforcements.

6:15am: (Spook) *PICK PICK PICK*
(Julius) *SCRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATCH! SCRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAATCH! SCRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAATCH!*

I accept defeat. They have won... AGAIN. You know, it has been months since I have slept past 7am. LOL!

I get up. My movement is rewarded by "chirp! PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" *head butt, head butt, rub rub* as I prepare their breakfast.
And it is totally worth it. :)

No comments: