It is not my style to post about my day to day activities, or to share my deepest thoughts or poems or other creative writing. I am a rather secretive individual and I prefer to keep my thoughts and feelings between friends. However, I love to share with others the things that make me happy, and to have others share such things with me. I find a most welcome escape from the sadness and fear in the world to share a smile with another.
In that spirit, I would like to share something that brings me comfort and stirs warm memories inside of me. Oh, and it tastes great, too!
Roasted Autumn Vegetable Soup (my own adaptation of a Weight Watchers recipe)
Need:
1 large onion
6 medium carrots
3 large parsnips
5 cups squash (winter squash or yellow squash. Frozen or fresh)
3 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup skim milk
salt
pepper
nutmeg
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the carrots and parsnips into 1" pieces, the onion into large segments, and the squash into 1"X 1" cubes. Combine them in a roasting pan, cover, and roast for 15 minutes. Remove the cover and roast for 5-10 minutes more. Roasting the veggies brings out their natural sweetness.
Place the roasted veggies in a large pot. Add broth and milk. Cook at medium heat until liquid is hot, than cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Blend the mixture until smooth in blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender.
Spoon into bowls (about 1 1/2 cup per serving) and dust with nutmeg. Serve hot.
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
A big bowl of comfort
Posted by
Cherie
at
8:11 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
sounds delicious!
Post a Comment